From July 2nd to 26th 2019, the Summer School of Innovative Technology Entrepreneurship was successfully realized at the Startup Center. This pilot project was organized by the Startup Center Nis, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Electronic Engineering and Faculty of Economics in Nis in cooperation with IT companies from the region with the purpose of applying the acquired and acquiring new practical knowledge of students about advanced technologies in real circumstances, in order to create an innovative product or service and their placement on the market.
The ITE Summer School was successfully attended by 22 students - students of the above-mentioned faculties, as well as students of the Art School and High School "Bora Stankovic" (Computer Science). They actively worked in groups on the challenge of the public utility PUC "Parking Service" in order to predict parking in central urban areas using the principle of Machine Learning, based on open data provided by this public institution.
During the four weeks, a large number of technological and non-technological workshops and tutorials related to the specific task were held, the basic principles of the chosen solution were defined, and a detailed plan of activities was developed.
Topics of non-technological workshops were:
• The basics of startup entrepreneurship
• Project management and planning (KANBAN method)
• Intellectual property protection in startup ecosystems
• The role of creative industries in technological entrepreneurship
• Presentation (pitch) of the idea and concept of an innovative product or service to investors.
Topics of technological workshops were:
• Modern software architectures
• User interface design
• Application of neural networks and deep learning in object detection in the image
• Time series prediction using machine learning algorithms.
The ITE Summer School aims to raise awareness of the potential of innovative technology entrepreneurship, based on ideas that use advanced technologies, but also encourages students to engage in solving other urban challenges and problems of vulnerable target groups and individuals in the City of Nis.